study Software Engineering in Turkey
Software engineering in Turkey is becoming more and more popular among international students from all over the world.
This article will provide you with all the required information about this specialization. Moreover, we will answer different questions such as "why should you choose Turkey for studying engineering software" and "what are the best Turkish universities that offer this specialization".
Many Turkish universities offer undergraduate and master's programs in software with English and Turkish medium of instruction. Therefore, you can choose the most suitable and affordable university that meets your inspiration to pursue software engineering.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), software engineering is defined as "The design, development, testing, and evaluation of software and systems that enable computers to execute applications."
Software engineering can also be defined as the process of analyzing user requirements followed by designing, building, and testing a software application that meets those requirements.
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) defines software engineering as "The application of a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to the development, operation, and maintenance of software".
Software engineers work with various programming languages, such as C++, Java, and many more. They can modify existing software applications or create new applications from scratch. Moreover, they can establish and maintain computer networks.
- Software engineering is related to the field of computer science. Therefore, if you are interested in a diverse career field concerned with computer science, software, and computers as well as interacting with people, software engineering is exactly the best choice for you.
- If you want to be a computer software engineer, be prepared for an ever-evolving career. Many Jobs will be available to meet every day-changing technological need. So just think about how much computers and software have evolved over the past four years.
- The scientific and mathematical foundation gained during this specialization will always be essential for your future career. However, like other computer specializations, you will encounter lifelong learning as you strive to stay on the cutting edge of innovation.
- As a seeker of software engineering specialization, you will study the scientific and mathematical principles of computer software. You will also learn several programming languages and the design, analysis, and maintenance of programs.
This specialization provides you with technical skills that can be used in many IT- and web-related jobs, from application developer to web designer.
The Jobs related to software engineering specialization include:
- Application Developer.
- Cyber Security Analyst.
- Game Developer.
- Information Systems Manager
- IT Consultant.
- Multimedia Programmer.
- Web Developer.
- Web Designer.
- Software Engineer.
- Application Analyst.
- Database Administrator.
- Technical Support Employee for Information Technology.
- Software Tester.
- Sound Designer.
- Systems Analyst.
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO).
- Video Game Designer.
- User Interface Designer.
Remember that many employers accept applications of graduates with any courses; therefore, don't limit yourself to the jobs listed above.
Today, software is all around us. Do you know that in 2008, the number of personal computers around the world exceeded one billion? Do you know that 5.11 billion mobile phone users are around the world today? Each of these devices comprises an operating system, which is a complex program with many interrelated functions.
- Software engineering is crucial because unique software is needed in nearly every industry, business, and job. It only becomes more important over time - if something goes wrong with your suite of apps, a quick and effective fix should happen as soon as possible.
- A bachelor's degree in software engineering is usually the prerequisite to begin a career as a software engineer.
- As a branch of computer science, software engineering includes developing and constructing computer systems and application software.
- Systems software includes computing tools, process systems, and application programs. Therefore, the knowledge of programming languages, software development, and computer operating systems are three key components in this field.
- Software engineering is slightly different from computer engineering, which is concerned with designing and developing hardware and computing technologies (e.g., processor design, networking, etc.).
The software engineering program in Turkey is dedicated to computer science. Therefore, you will first learn the basics of computer science, software engineering, and business management.
After that, you will learn more about the practical approach, project work, and collaboration in a team or with clients.
The important areas that will be covered during the study of software engineering in Turkey are:
- Development of software systems
- Various programming languages
- Work with computer networks and database systems
- Data models.
In the advanced semesters, you will also learn to plan for software development as a project, its practical implementation, and modify it according to the users changing requirements.
As software solutions are gaining importance and in high demand in most fields, many job opportunities will be available for you after graduation.
Based on your interests and specialization, you can participate in different fields of work, for example:
- Software companies.
- Consulting firms focused on information technology.
- Companies that have specialized software departments.
You are also free to pursue a career in a globally operating, mid-sized or self-employed business.
With strong industrial demand, highly qualified applications and systems software engineers are well paid for their technical expertise and services. The Bureau of Labor Statistics lists the average salary for application developers at 23,000$ per month.
- Applications and systems developers are not the only available software engineering jobs. Other common jobs include mobile developers, application architects, quality assurance analysts, and database administrators.
There are some Turkish public and private universities to teach software engineering, and we will review the most important of them now:
Best Turkish Private Universities to study Software Engineering in Turkey
- Bahçeşehir University
- Atilim University
- Istanbul Aydin University
- Istanbul Okan University
- Istinye University
- Istanbul Gelişim University
- Maltepe University
- Nisantasi University
- Altinbas University
Best Turkish Public Universities to study Software Engineering in Turkey:
- Ankara Yildirim Beyazit University.
- Middle East Technical University (Turkish Cyprus).
- Sakarya University.
- Kocaeli University.
- Mugla Sitki Kocman University.
- Black Sea Technical University.
- Samsun University
The expenses of studying software engineering range from2000$ to 9800$ per year. These expenses vary from one university to another.
- Passport copy
- Personal Photograph.
- General Certificate of Secondary Education (Baccalaureate - Tawjihi) translated into English or Turkish and certified.
- If you have not completed secondary school, the certificate of the last semester is translated and certified should be submitted.
- Secondary school graduation certificate, if any, translated and certified.
- English proficiency certificate, if any, (if the student prefers to study in English).
- It is preferable to submit any additional documents and certificates, if any, that may help you obtain a fee waiver of tuition.
Some universities may request additional documents.
- The duration of the software engineering program is 4 years and 5 years for the software engineering (M.T.O.K) program.
- During the program, fundamentals of software engineering will be covered, and students are expected to practice extensively.
- In the first year, the students begin designing and programming to develop their technical skills.
- In addition to technical courses, the program also includes social courses to develop students' social skills and emphasize teamwork.
Talking about the courses:
- In the first year, software engineering students attend courses in mathematics and physics to build their knowledge base.
- In addition, they take basic programming courses to promote programming skills and learn design principles.
- Please remember that there is no need for prior programming knowledge to comprehend the scientific courses. However, this knowledge will be helpful in the programming courses in the first year.
The courses of software engineering vary between Turkish universities. However, they all have a lot of common core courses. For example, the courses for the first year are given as follows:
- Introduction to Information Technology.
- Academic Communication and Writing Skills.
- Introduction to JAVA Programming.
- General Chemistry.
- Communication Skills and Academic Reports.
- Turkish Language.
- English language.
If you wanted to know more or have any questions, we are here to help you and you can always contact us:
Or via WhatsApp through this link.