study medicine in Turkey in English
Turkey is one of the highly advanced countries in medical education. Turkish universities are also distinguished by their facilities, including the latest laboratories, medical centers, and university hospitals to prepare highly qualified doctors to occupy the best position worldwide.
Moreover, many Turkish universities offer their programs in both English and Turkish mediums of instruction. Therefore, in this article, we will provide all the required information about studying medicine in Turkey with an English medium of instruction, including conditions, fees, available universities, and the study duration.
- The study of medicine with an English medium of instruction is available in major Turkish universities (public and private).
- There is strict supervision by the Turkish Council of Higher Education (YÖK) on teaching medicine in English to maintain the excellent quality of education in universities.
- Turkish universities keep pace with all recent developments in the medical fields in addition to their contribution to international medical research.
- English is the primary language of communication in most hospitals in Turkey.
- Studying in English enables the doctor to keep abreast with research and scientific articles after graduation, most of which are available in English.
- The requirements to study medicine in English vary from one university to another; however, the standard requirement for studying medicine with an English medium of instruction in most Turkish public and private universities is to obtain an English language proficiency certificate (TOEFL).
- Most public universities require a General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) with an average of 90% or 95%, in addition to passing the Turkish (YÖS) exam or American (SAT) test.
- On the other hand, the private universities accept the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) with a minimum average of 70% and do not require passing the YÖS and SAT.
The duration of studying medicine in Turkey is six years. However, an additional language preparatory year will be added to the total period for students who did not submit an English language proficiency certificate.
- The first three years often cover the basic sciences such as Anatomy, Physiology, Chemistry, Physics, and Microbiology.
- The student starts joining the university hospitals and attending practical training from the fourth academic year.
- The student may receive a nominal salary during the practical training in the last two years.
Best Public Universities to Study Medicine in English
Low tuition fees characterize public universities compared to private universities. However, they require a high average of a General Certificate of Secondary Education. The most critical Turkish public universities that offer Bachelor of Medicine programs with English medium of instruction are given as follows:
1- Istanbul University-Cerrahpaşa
- It is one of the best universities in Turkey and occupies a prestigious position among European universities.
- The tuition fees are low compared to other universities, which are 40,000 Liras per annum for studying medicine in English.
2- Ankara University
- It is one of Turkey's oldest and best universities, founded in 1946.
- Student-centered learning methods are utilized during the study of medicine at Ankara university to prepare qualified physicians for the local and international levels.
- The tuition Fees for studying medicine in English are approximately $4,400 per year.
3- Hacettepe University
- It is one of the oldest and most prominent universities in Turkey. It was established in 1967 and is located in the capital, Ankara.
- It is well known for its high-quality programs and advancement in the medical and health fields.
- The cost of studying medicine in English is approximately 50,700 Liras per annum which is considered low compared to the quality of education.
4- Marmara University
- It is one of the well-known universities in Turkey, founded in 1983, and is located on the Asian side of Istanbul.
- It is one of the best universities for all medical programs, from undergraduate to postgraduate studies (Master's and Ph.D.).
- The annual tuition fee for a Bachelor of Medicine in English is approximately 30,000 Liras.
Best Private Universities to Study Medicine in English
Although the high tuition fees in private universities compared to the public ones, it is easier to obtain admission at these universities as they do not require a high average in the General Certificate of Secondary Education, and it is not necessary to clear the aptitude test. The most important private universities that offer medicine study in Turkey with an English medium of instruction are given as follows:
1- Medipol University
- It is ranked first place in 2019 for studying medicine in Turkey
- It is one of the best Turkish universities to study medicine, with many large hospitals available at the university.
- It is well known for the rich programs in the medical and health fields and the quality of the educational syllabus at the different faculties.
- It has many international recognitions
- It offers many training opportunities for the students to prepare them for the labor market
- The tuition fee for studying medicine in English is 30.000$ per year. This fee can be reduced to 27.000$ in the case of advance payment.
2- İstinye University
It is one of the best destinations for medicine study in Turkey as Istinye Medical Park Hospital is one of the major hospitals in Istanbul and among the best hospitals in Turkey
- Its hospitals have the latest equipment needed for students and patients
- It also provides practical training for the students in its hospitals starting from the fourth academic year.
- It has a large group of reputed doctors and researchers locally and globally, providing the students the proper environment for learning.
The study of medicine in English is available at $22.572 per annum.
3- Altinbas University
- It is one of the recent universities established in 2008, located on the European side of Istanbul.
- The university has many modern educational laboratories. The offered medicine program is distinguished by providing clinical medicine courses from the first year.
- The medicine program in English is available with a tuition fee of $20,000 annually.
4- Bahçeşehir University
- It is one of the largest educational institutions in Turkey. It was established in 1998 and is located in the beşiktaş district on the European side of Istanbul.
- The offered medicine program has rigorous and intensive courses compared to other universities where students attend the classes five days a week from 9 am to 5 pm.
- The annual tuition fee for studying medicine in English is $21,000.
5- Yeditepe University
- It is one of the most prestigious universities in Turkey. It was founded in 1996 and is located on the Asian side of Istanbul.
- It is characterized by the various offered programs and the availability of all medical specialties, especially medicine.
- The tuition fee for studying medicine in English is $27,500 per year.
6- Maltepe University
- It is one of the largest universities in Turkey, established in 1997, and is located on the Asian side of Istanbul.
- Its medical school was established in 2013 to meet the changing social needs through technical and medical achievements in the health system.
- It is one of the private universities with low tuition fees. The annual tuition fee for studying medicine in English is $32,400.
7- Koç University
- It is one of the best and most prominent Turkish universities, founded in 1993 in Istanbul.
- It is one of the best Turkish universities to study medicine with rapid development in scientific research. Most of the offered programs are available in English.
- The medicine program is concerned with qualifying doctors to confront the growing health issues in the twenty-first century and deal with them on sound scientific bases.
- The tuition fees for studying medicine are $29,500 annually, which is comparatively low compared to the quality of education and the high rank of the university.
8- Üsküdar University
- It is one of the recent universities established in 2011 in Istanbul.
- The university is well known for its medical specializations, specifically psychotherapy, psychological rehabilitation, and mental health.
- The annual tuition fee for the Bachelor of Medicine program with an English medium of instruction is $19,000. This fee can be reduced to $18.050 in the case of advance payment.
9- Istanbul Aydin University
- It is one of the best Turkish universities. It was established in 2003 and is located on the European side of Istanbul.
- The annual tuition fee for the Bachelor of Medicine in English is $22,000.
10- Biruni University
- It is one of the eminent private universities to study medicine. This university was founded in 2014 and is located in the heart of Istanbul.
- It is distinguished by its medical programs and includes the faculties of medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, and a vocational school for health services.
- The tuition fee for studying medicine in English is $20,000 annually. This fee can be reduced to $18,000 in the case of advance payment.
Finally, this was a brief of studying medicine in English in Turkey. We hope that we have delivered the required information to every student who dreams of completing their studies abroad and wants to obtain a prestigious medical degree. Dear student, do not miss the opportunity and hurry up to apply through the StudyFans educational platform.
If you wanted to know more or have any questions, we are here to help you and you can always contact us:
Or via WhatsApp through this link.