Your guide to Study Pharmacy in Turkey
Pharmacy is one of the medical specializations and among the best options for many students due to the ease of the study and the fewer years compared to medicine study. Turkey is also one of the great destinations to study pharmacy because of the quality of medical education at its universities and the affordable fees compared to other European countries. This article is a comprehensive guide for all students who seek to study pharmacy in Turkey.
- It is one of the medical sciences concerned with drugs, medicines, and all related.
- Pharmacology is closely related to biological sciences such as medicine, botany, herbal medicine, and chemistry.
- It is one of the oldest sciences discovered at the beginning of the twelfth century.
- Turkish universities are among the best options for many international students to study pharmacy due to the following advantages:
- The highly qualified teaching cadres and academic experts teach practical and theoretical courses.
- The availability of substantial medical laboratories equipped with the latest modern technological devices.
- The prestigious scientific ranking of Turkish universities, especially the Faculty of Pharmacy.
- Turkish universities offer the program with English and Turkish medium of instruction.
- Low tuition fees and living expenses compared to other European countries and the United States of America.
- Availability of post-graduation job opportunities in research and development centers, hospitals, pharmaceutical factories, and academic work.
The admission requirements vary from one university to another. The most required documents for admission to the pharmacy program in Turkey are given as follows:
- Admission requirements differ among Turkish public universities; each may ask for specific documents and criteria.
- Most public universities require a General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) with a minimum average of 90%.
- Some Turkish public universities require you to clear the YÖS (Turkish Aptitude Test) or SAT (American Aptitude Test).
- Some public universities require you to submit TOEFL if you wish to study in English or TÖMER if you wish to study in Turkish.
- The admission requirements to private universities are more manageable than the public ones.
- Private universities require a General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) with a minimum average of 65%
- Some private universities also require a TOEFL or TÖMER based on the study language.
Pharmacy is one of the oldest specializations offered at Turkish universities, as the first school of pharmacy and pharmacology was founded in 1839. The most prominent Turkish universities to study pharmacy are presented in the following:
First: Public Universities
1- Ankara University
- It is one of the largest universities in the capital, Ankara, and ranks 801 globally.
- It has a highly qualified teaching staff with about 64,000 students in various specializations.
- The bachelor's program in pharmacy is offered in English and Turkish, with an annual tuition fee of 75,000₺-112500₺.
2- Marmara University
- It is the second largest public university in Turkey, located in Istanbul, and has approximately 90,000 students.
- The bachelor's program in pharmacy is offered in Turkish with an annual tuition fee of 34,211,25₺.
3- Hacettepe University
- It is one of the major universities in Turkey, founded in Ankara in 1954, and has about 30,000 students.
- The bachelor's program in pharmacy is afforded in Turkish with an annual tuition fee of 182,460₺.
Second: Private Universities
1- Bahçeşehir University
- It was founded in 1998 and is located on the European side of Istanbul.
- The bachelor's program is offered in English with an annual fee of $15,000.
2- Ankara Medipol University
- It is one of the newest Turkish private universities, established in 2018, and offers medical and health sciences.
- Turkish language is the medium of instruction for the bachelor's program in pharmacy. The tuition fee is $10,800 per annum.
- It also offers a bachelor's program in pharmacy with an English medium of instruction. The annual tuition fee is approximately $12,960.
3- Altınbaş University
- It is one of the most prestigious universities located in Istanbul.
- It was founded in 2008 and is well-known for offering medical specialties such as pharmacy, medicine, and dentistry.
- The bachelor's program in pharmacy is available in English, and the annual tuition fee is $11,000.
4- Yeditepe University
- It is one of the private endowment universities, established in 1996, and is located in Istanbul.
- The fees for studying pharmacy in English are $19,980 per year.
5- İstinye University
- It was established in 2015 and is located on the European side of Istanbul.
- The university is famous for its medical specializations as it has one of Turkey's three largest private hospitals.
- The bachelor's program is available in Turkish and English with annual fees of $10,450 for Turkish and $11,495 for English.
- 6- Biruni University
- It is one of the most reputed Turkish private universities, established in 2014, and is located in Istanbul.
- It is among the most sought Turkish universities for medical specializations and has a vocational school for health services.
- Bachelor's programs in pharmacy are available in both Turkish and English.
- The annual tuition fee for the bachelor's program is 9,000$ for the study in Turkish and $10,800 for the study in English.
The duration of pharmacy study at Turkish universities is five years. The most important topics covered during this program are given as follows:
- Compounding medications and pharmaceuticals.
- Providing medical prescriptions to patients.
- Communicating with patients and educating them.
- Follow up with the cases, and review their files and medical records.
The pharmacy specialization is a combination of many different sciences that are related to each other. The essential courses covered during the study of pharmacy are:
- Clinical Biochemistry.
- Analytical Chemistry.
- Organic Chemistry.
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
- Chemistry of Natural Products and Medicinal Herbs.
- General Biology.
- Microbiology and viruses.
As mentioned before, pharmacy is one of the medical specializations in Turkish universities. Therefore, the following are its most important departments:
- Department of Medicinal Drugs
- Department of Pharmaceutical Technology
- Department of Pharmaceuticals and Biomedical Chemistry
- Department of Nutrition
The master's in pharmacy programs are available with the following specializations:
- Health Administration, Pharmacy Management.
- Drug Development.
- Science of Pharmacology and Toxicology.
- Occupational Health and Safety.
- Clinical Pharmacy.
- Industrial Pharmacy.
- Cosmetology sciences.
- Forensic sciences.
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
- Pharmaceutical field.
The student can also obtain a Ph.D. in pharmacy after completing five years of theoretical study and one year (excellence) of practical study in hospitals and training centers.
At the end of this article and after presenting all the information about studying pharmacy in Turkey, you are free to choose the most suitable university that meets your requirements, our dear student. If you seek to study pharmacy at Turkish universities, hurry up and apply through StudyFans so we can guide you throughout the way, facilitate the application process, and provide many exclusive privileges.
If you wanted to know more or have any questions, we are here to help you and you can always contact us:
Or via WhatsApp through this link.