Studying environmental engineering in Turkey in 2023
Environmental engineering is one of the disciplines of engineering sciences concerned with serving the environment, protecting it from pollution, and providing an appropriate environment to protect humans and preserve their health. The possibility of studying environmental engineering in Turkey is available in several Turkish public universities, as well as job opportunities are available for graduates in many different fields.
There is no doubt that attention to human health and quality of life is one of the important requirements in the current era. This is achieved by providing a healthy environment free from pollution and harmful waste. Hence, the environmental engineering major, which uses engineering applications to serve the environment and protect it from pollution is crucial.
In this topic, we will address the most important points about studying environmental engineering in Turkey.
- Environmental engineering is a discipline based on the use of Engineering applications to serve and protect the environment.
- This specialization aims to solve environmental problems, dispose of waste, and mitigate pollution damage by controlling water, air, and soil pollution centers.
Environmental Engineering in Turkey is one of the best and most important engineering disciplines, for the following reasons:
- It provides the best equipment and modern technologies in the laboratories of engineering faculties in various Turkish universities.
- The possibility of studying in English in addition to Turkish in several Turkish universities.
- The environmental engineering degree from Turkish universities is highly valued and recognized locally and internationally.
The number of years studying environmental engineering in Turkey for a bachelor's degree is 4 years. The job title after graduation is “Environmental Engineer.” Environmental engineering is related to many other sciences, such as chemistry, biology, and mathematics. The following are the most important study subjects in this major:
- General chemistry.
- Environmental chemistry.
- Chemical processes.
- Statistics and probability.
- Environmental Microbiology
- Aerobic environment.
- Hydrology of Environmental Engineering.
- Wastewater treatment plant design.
- Drinking water networks.
- Solid Waste Management.
- Environmental impact assessment.
- Fluid mechanics.
- Principles of environmental modeling.
The study of environmental engineering in Turkey is more available in public universities, and rarely available in private universities:
Middle East Technical University
- It is one of the public universities founded in 1956 in the capital, Ankara.
- It is considered one of the leading universities in engineering fields and enjoys distinguished local and international rankings.
- The Bachelor’s program in Environmental Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission, and the language of study is English. The overall aim of the program is to enhance the understanding and apply the principles of Environmental Science and engineering to improve the well-being of society.
- It is a public university that was established in 1954 as part of Ankara University, and then became independent from it in 1967.
- The Bachelor of Environmental Engineering program started at Hacettepe University in the academic year 2014 -2015, and the study is in English.
- The program includes studying: water resources management, air pollution control, water and wastewater treatment, solid and hazardous waste management, climate change and control of greenhouse gas emissions, environmental biotechnology, environmental management, risk management, renewable energy resources, and clean technologies.
- The university also offers master's and Ph.D. programs in environmental engineering and aims to provide a high level of education for engineers to develop solutions to environmental problems at the global and local levels using engineering approaches and principles.
- It is one of the public universities founded in 1982, located in the Asian side of Istanbul.
- The Department of Environmental Engineering at Marmara University was established in 1990 studying in English. Its first students were accepted in the same year and its first graduated students were in 1994.
- The department's postgraduate and Ph.D. programs also began in 1993 and 1999, respectively.
- This program offers courses in biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, engineering principles, laboratory practices, and computer applications, and aims to train engineers to provide engineering solutions to complex environmental problems.
Istanbul Technical University
- It is one of the prestigious public universities in Turkey. It was founded during the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Mustafa III under the name of the Royal Naval Engineering College.
- Then it developed over time until it became called the Engineering Academy in 1909.
- The Department of Environmental Engineering at Istanbul Technical University is one of the leading departments in Turkey in the field of environmental engineering education and research.
- The study began in it for the first time as a postgraduate program in 1973 within the Civil Engineering faculty. It was a dual educational model that included a bachelor’s degree for 4 years, then a master’s degree for a year and a half.
- The university provides study programs in English in addition to Turkish.
Yıldız Technical University
- It is one of the Technical Universities of Engineering Sciences, dating back to 1911, located in the Beşiktaş district, one of the municipalities of Istanbul.
- Bachelor of Environmental Engineering programs are offered in both English and Turkish in the Faculty of civil engineering. The program aims to prepare graduates to work in public institutions and the private sector or establish their own engineering companies.
Job opportunities for environmental engineers are available in many fields, most notably:
- Working in the fields of design and creating wastewater networks.
- Working at stations Water treatment.
- Working as an environmental reviewer and studying an environmental impact assessment.
- Working as an environmental consultant for companies, and institutions.
- Working in companies and institutions that provide products that reduce the effects of environmental pollution.
The careers vary depending on the fields and places of work, but in general, the careers of an environmental engineer include:
- Designing Modern technologies to reduce environmental pollution, and waste hazards.
- Preparing and designing projects to preserve the environment.
- Collecting and analyzing data related to the environment and interpreting environmental laws.
- Studying the impact of human behavior on the environment.
- Ensuring the safety of the designed projects and their compliance with environmental and health laws.
- Conduct Scientific research Related to ongoing environmental issues such as climate change, renewable energy, and food safety.
- Conducting studies related to drinking water treatment and wastewater treatment.
- Carrying out procedures for destroying solid materials without harming the environment.
- Setting perceptions and proposals to address environmental noise problems.
- Providing advice for decision-makers on the best ways to deal with the environment.
- Setting environmental recommendations and supervising the work and progress of various environmental programs.
- Salaries vary, of course, according to experience, and workplace; however, in general, the salary of environmental engineers in Turkey is high compared to the Arab countries. The average salary is from 62,500 to 117,440 ₺ per month.
In conclusion, this was a brief overview of Studying environmental engineering in Turkey. We hope that we have provided the necessary benefit to students who are going to study at university, and we have covered most of the topics related to the field of environmental engineering in Turkey. Dear student, hurry up by registering through our StudyFans platform to get all our exclusive privileges.
If you wanted to know more or have any questions, we are here to help you and you can always contact us:
Or via WhatsApp through this link.