Application Requirements to Study in Turkey in 2023
In the beginning, there are two points that you must keep in mind before you apply for admission a Turkish university, and they are as follows:
First: Determination of Specialization
You must determine the specialization you seek to study based on several aspects as follows:
- Your desires and the field you love
- The nature and reality of the labor market
- The most in-demand specializations in the market
- And other factors that you should consider when determining the appropriate specialization for you.
Second: Determination of University
You should determine the university you wish to join and start your specialization. This is also based on several factors such as:
- Whether the university has the specialization, you seek or not.
- The level of the university, specifically, in your specialization.
- The quality of the study.
- Its geographical location.
- And other aspects that may help you to determine the university that suits your inspiration.
After completing these points, you will now check the requirements for admission to the selected university through its official website.
- The official medium of instruction at the university. Most public universities adopt the Turkish language as the medium of instruction. However, most private universities allow study in English. On the other hand, some universities offer to study in both English and Turkish.
- Some universities require the students to clear entrance examinations such as the SAT and the YÖS.
It is an international test for university admission. It aims to examine your cognitive abilities and your ability to apply this knowledge during university studies in Turkey. This test evaluates middle school reading, writing, and mathematics skills.
This test is intended for "non-Turkish" foreign students who want to study in Turkey, provided that the student has a General Certificate of Secondary Education of all kinds (Baccalaureate, Tawjihi, etc.). The test aims to evaluate basic mathematical skills IQ, algebraic mathematics, engineering mathematics, logical thinking, and problem-solving ability.
After the above overview of the basic requirements for applying to a Turkish university, we will look into these requirements for both private and public universities.
Turkish private universities are widely available, and they provide a good level of education with a distinguished ranking at the national and international levels. The ease of application and the probability of getting admission at these universities are the factors that make them very popular among international students.
Here, the requirements are divided according to the type of university.
Steps and Admission Requirements at Turkish Private Universities
- A copy of the student's passport.
- A recent personal photograph.
- General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) with the transcript.
- English proficiency certificate such as TOEFL or IELTS, if any, (if the student prefers to study in English).
- Recommendation letter for students applying for a master's degree.
Admission Requirements at Turkish Public Universities
Admission to public universities is more complex than to private ones. This is due to the additional requirements that the students should submit during the registration stage. The most important requirement is passing the "YÖS" test, which was briefed above.
Most public universities require this test as one of the prerequisites for applying to the university. For students who have a general grade at secondary school, which is less than the admission requirement, the " YÖS " test is an equivalency to the student's grades to check the student's eligibility to complete undergraduate studies.
The application dates differ from one university to another. However, the application dates are the same for a specific university category (public or private).
Registration Dates at Public Universities 2023
The registration for the academic year 2022-2023 in public universities starts in (April).
The registration continues until the seats are full. In case the seats are not occupied, the registration deadline will be in (September) for the academic year 2023-2024.
Registration Dates at Private Universities 2023
The registration in private universities begins in March 2023.
The application deadline in most private universities is at the end of October 2023.
We will end this article by answering the frequently asked questions about the study at Turkish universities as follows:
Who can apply to Turkish universities?
Students from different countries of the world with a General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) in all its forms, equivalent to a high school diploma in Turkey, can apply for Turkish universities considering the admission requirements set by each university.
How to apply to Turkish universities?
As mentioned before, the application is through the university’s official website. Most, if not all, Turkish universities provide a registration page on their website. Therefore, you can fill out the necessary information on this page and upload all required documents to apply to the university.
What are the required documents to apply to the university?
Some requirements may differ from one university to another. However, most of the requirements are common among all Turkish universities, and the following are the required documents to be submitted at the time of admission:
- A copy of your General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) translated into the university’s official language, whether it is English or Turkish.
- Transcripts for secondary school, this is not required in all universities.
- A copy of a valid passport.
- A recent personal photograph.
- Language proficiency certificate, such as TOEFL, IELTS, TÖMER, if any. If one of these certificates is not available, the student should appear for a language placement test at the registered university.
- Some universities require an application fee, which often ranges between 35$ and 100$. This amount is non-refundable if you are not accepted at the university.
What after applying to the university?
After completing all application and registration steps at the university, you will have to wait for a response from the university. In the event of acceptance, the university will issue your admission letter. It will provide you with information regarding visas, temporary residence granted to students, and other details about the nature of the study program.
Of course, before all that, you must be prepared to start a new experience during your study in Turkey. This includes financial, health, and psychological preparations allowing you to have an enjoyable and unforgettable time during your study in Turkey.
Why apply through StudyFans?
- Applying through us to private universities is completely free.
- We help you choose your specialization after consulting with one of our educational advisors "for free".
- We offer you the best universities in your specialization.
- StudyFans is an authorized agent of most Turkish universities.
- Our students get exclusive discounts at most universities.
- We complete your procedures and help you travel.
- We will be the link between you and the university to clear your documents.
If you wanted to know more or have any questions, we are here to help you and you can always contact us:
Or via WhatsApp through this link.