P.h.D Study Guide in Turkey and Scholarship Details 2023
Ph.D. is the highest scientific level a student can reach in the academic field and is a milestone for the student or the researcher. For Arab students, there is no better option than Turkey as a foreign destination for studying Ph.D. due to the many advantages that we will discuss in this article.
- Ph.D. is the scientific level that follows the master's degree, where the researchers deepen in their field.
- Ph.D. helps the researcher to promote his career.
- Also, it enables the researcher to be an academic lecturer in universities.
- The high ranking of Turkish universities globally means you are getting a Ph.D. degree from a prestigious university.
- Most universities have partnerships and research cooperation with many universities and research centers worldwide, which saves time and eases the way for the researcher to finish his research.
- Giving the student the chance to study for one year or one semester in a university outside Turkey through the student exchange program in most Turkish universities.
- Availability of English alongside Turkish as the medium of instruction.
- Low living expenses and tuition fees compared to other countries like the USA, Europe, and some Arab countries.
- The researcher can start the course in a part-time mode alongside a job, as most Ph.D. lectures are in the evening.
- After getting their Ph.D. degree, graduates can work as academic lecturers in Turkish private universities or teaching-related companies or institutions.
- The educational system differs from one university to another.
- Ph.D. in some specializations are available directly after the bachelor's degree. In this case, the course duration is ten semesters.
- In contrast, some other specializations require first obtaining a master's degree, and then the study will be eight semesters.
- In general, the duration is between 3 to 4 years.
- Usually, the first two years are for theoretical and practical subjects.
- In the third year, the researcher starts his thesis, then presents and discusses it before the evaluation committee.
More than 95,000 students are enrolled in Ph.D. in more than 166 Turkish universities in different scientific fields. The following are the most significant Ph.D. programs available in Turkey:
- Bioinformatics and Genetics
- Business Administration
- International Trade
- Commercial Robotics and Intelligent Systems
- Sports Science and Physical Education
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Computer Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- International Relations
- Banking and Finance.
- Electronic and Electric Engineering
- Design Studies
- Experimental Psychology
- Political Science and International Relations.
Ph.D. in private Turkish universities
All private Turkish universities report to The Council of Higher Education (YÖK). Most of them have a high ranking. The following are the best private Turkish universities for Ph.D.:
Istanbul Gelişim University
- It is a relatively new university, established in 2008 and located on the European side of Istanbul.
- It offers four Ph.D. programs in civil engineering, business administration, economics, and political science.
- The cost of the Ph.D. program varies between 8,000$-12,000$, and the medium of instruction is Turkish only.
- It is one of the luxurious universities located on the Asian side of Istanbul.
- It is distinct by the strength of the medical specializations, as many Ph.D. programs are available in dentistry, such as Ph.D. in Orthodontics, Ph.D. in Oral and Dental Surgery, Ph.D. in Prosthodontics, and others.
- The tuition fee ranges from 10,000 to 31,500$, with an English and Turkish medium of instruction.
- It is one of the new Turkish universities established in 2008, located on the European side of Istanbul.
- It offers Ph.D. programs in medical specializations such as dentistry and pharmaceutical sciences.
- The cost of the Ph.D. program varies between 10,000$ to 25,000$, with an English and Turkish medium of instruction.
- It was founded in 1996, located on the Asian side of Istanbul.
- It offers four Ph.D. programs in administrative sciences, engineering, and fine arts.
- The cost of the Ph.D. program is 9,500$, with an English and Turkish medium of instruction.
Kadir Has University
- It is one of the best private universities in Turkey, established in 1997, located on the Asian side of Istanbul.
- It offers nine different Ph.D. programs in various engineering specializations, law, economics, and international relations.
- The cost of the Ph.D. program is 15,000$, with an English and Turkish medium of instruction.
- It is a relatively new university, established in 2011 and located on the Asian side of Istanbul.
- It offers seven different Ph.D. programs; most of them are in psychological rehabilitation sciences, mental health, and neuroscience.
- The cost of the Ph.D. program varies between 7,030$ to 17,315$, and the medium of instruction is Turkish only.
İstanbul Gedik University
- It was founded in 1994, located on the Asian side of Istanbul.
- It offers six different Ph.D. programs, most notably a Ph.D. in business administration with an English medium of instruction and a Ph.D. in safety and occupational health.
- The cost of all Ph.D. programs is 6,000$, and the study duration is four years.
- There are some requirements for studying Ph.D. in Turkey, which differs from one university to another, but generally, they include:
- Master's and bachelor's certificates, along with the transcripts.
- Some universities require at least 70 on bachelor's and master's grades.
- In case the applicant wants to select English as the medium of instruction, he will need to submit proof of English language proficiency, like TOEFL or IELTS; the same applies to the Turkish language.
- Some universities require passing tests like GRE, GMAT, and ALES.
- Some universities also require applicants to interview with the teaching committee or head of the conferenced department.
- Generally, studying in Turkey is considered cheap, especially in Ph.D. programs.
- The fees are usually between 6,000$ to 31,500$ for the whole program.
- Most universities allow installment-based payments.
- The Turkish government provides a fully funded Ph.D. scholarship. It covers the following:
- Full tuition fees.
- Flight tickets and travel expenses.
- Accommodation in the university hostels.
- Health care through private and government health insurance.
- One year course in the Turkish language.
- A monthly stipend of 1,800 TL.
Nevertheless, there are some standards the applicants should have:
- The applicants must be no more than 35.
- To be fit and healthy
- Not to be currently registered in any of the Turkish universities.
- To have an average of above 75% and 90% for medical specializations.
If you wanted to know more or have any questions, we are here to help you and you can always contact us:
Or via WhatsApp through this link.