Guide to Study Petroleum Engineering in Turkey
If you want to study petroleum engineering, then you are making the right decision.
Turkey is considered an excellent destination to study engineering with all its branches, especially petroleum engineering. During your studies, you will have practical experience with the latest drilling simulation, laboratory, field trips, research, and internships which will help you join the workforces that are ready to locate and extract hydrocarbons and crude oil with new and creative methods.
You should note that the petroleum engineering department is not available in any private universities, it’s only available in Turkish governmental universities and Northern Cyprus private universities.
- Petroleum engineering is a field of engineering concerned with locating and extracting crude oil and natural gas.
- a petroleum engineer determines the most effective way to drill and study geological data to determine the most likely area where oil can be sourced.
- To become a petroleum engineer you need to have extensive knowledge of mathematics, physics, chemistry, heat transfer, mass transfer, manufacturing process, and economics. You will learn all of that during your bachelor’s degree at Turkish universities.
Petroleum engineering will enable you to contribute to solving the increasing global demand for gas and oil.
Also, as a petroleum engineer, you usually will participate in oil and gas production, and you might take part in improving and implementing new techniques for exploration and production.
- Studying petroleum engineering in Turkey starts with basics like geology, chemistry, mathematics, and physics, then more technical subjects like material science, heat dynamics, petroleum production, and reservoir engineering.
- Turkey is considered one of the countries most interested in teaching petroleum engineering to students from around the globe.
- Plus, Turkey has considerably low tuition fees with a high-quality education in both governmental and private universities, as well as great career opportunities either in Turkey or abroad because degrees from Turkish universities are recognized internationally.
- Petroleum engineering departments in Turkey offer a variety of programs for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Petroleum engineering bachelor’s degree in Turkey is a 4-year program, and a master’s degree is a 2-year program.
- Like any other engineering department, students get accepted according to their grades in high school.
Prospective students who want to study petroleum engineering in Turkish universities can choose between English and Turkish as a medium of instruction depending on the university, and they will study:
- First year: general geology
- Second year: rock properties
- Third year: drilling engineering
- Fourth year: petroleum engineering design
The curriculum also contains the following:
- Computer-aided design
- Calculus for functions of several variables
- C programming
- Differential equations
- Rock properties
- Strength of materials
- Drilling engineering
- Petroleum reservoir engineering
- Petroleum geology
- Petroleum engineering design
Drilling engineering, petroleum reservoir engineering, and petroleum engineering design are the main subjects of petroleum engineering.
Admission to the petroleum engineering department is based on the student's grades in high school.
Each university has its requirements for the petroleum engineering department in Turkey, however, the common requirements in all universities are:
- Passport photocopy
- Personal photo
- High school diploma translated to either English or Turkish and notarized
Some universities require prospective students to have specific grades in the YOS exam, and as we mentioned earlier the petroleum engineering department is only available in Turkish public universities and Northern Cyprus private universities.
Some universities require prospective students to pass their entrance exam for petroleum engineering.
And some universities ask prospective students to have one of the following certificates:
- Basic proficiency test (TYT)
- Field proficiency test (AYT)
That’s why students must know the requirements for their desired university.
The cost of the academic degree whether it is a bachelor’s degree or a more advanced degree in petroleum engineering depends on a variety of reasons, the first one is:
choosing the academic institute and degree
Most petroleum engineering departments have higher tuition fees for international students, and some universities have fixed tuition fees regardless of the nationalities.
Another important factor is:
the number of programs,usually universities charge higher tuition fees when students join more programs.
Finally, the average cost for petroleum engineering in Turkey is between 1360₺ -12,000₺ annually, according to the conditions previously mentioned.
- Istanbul Technical University
- Middle East Technical university
- Izmir katip Celebi University
- Iskenderun Technical University
- Near East University (Northern Cyprus)
- Cyprus International University (Northern Cyprus)
Petroleum engineers have the responsibility of coming up with creative engineering solutions and considering their impact globally on the economy, environment, and the community, and petroleum engineers can work as:
- Petroleum engineer
- Natural gas engineer
- Production engineer
- Drilling engineer
- Project management engineer
A career can also expand to the following fields:
- Manufacturing of petrochemicals
- Oil companies
- Oil refinery
- Oil and gas exploration companies
- Energy companies
- Pipe transportation company
- Hydraulic work
- Oil transportation
- Energy and natural resources
- Oil exploration
- Private oil companies
- International oil companies
- Oil production facilities
- Mining companies
- Electric Companies
- Science administrations
Also, graduates have the chance to start a career in the ministry of energy in their countries, however, they need to have an excellent academic record due to the competition for these opportunities.
Normally, petroleum engineers’ salary is as the following:
- The annual salary for a fresh graduate petroleum engineer is between 53,600 ₺ and 148,000₺
- Petroleum engineers with 3 years of experience can earn from 72000₺ to 144000 ₺ annually
- Petroleum engineers with more than 3 years of experience can earn between 95000₺ and 180,000₺ per year.
In 2021, petroleum engineers’ salary was between 6000₺ and 15000₺ per Month.
If you wanted to know more or have any questions, we are here to help you and you can always contact us:
Or via WhatsApp through this link.