Studying Computer Science In Turkey
Today we will talk about one of the essential specializations that will be indispensable in the companies in the future, i.e., Computer Science. This increased interest is triggered by the digital transformation of the current era and the fast-technological progress.
In this article you will read:
Computer science is the basis for many other specializations such as computer engineering, electronics, artificial intelligence, programming, and robotics. Turkey, with its universities, is one of the most prominent destinations to study computer science, with an annual increase in international students. This increase can be attributed to the offered programs' quality, rigorous syllabi, and the implementation of advanced teaching techniques.
Advantages of Computer Science Study in Turkish Universities?
- Turkish universities are always keen to provide practical applications, starting from the first semester, where students attend several workshops and laboratories to link theoretical study with practical implementation.
- The study of computer science in Turkey allows you to specialize in many modern and highly demanded positions in major companies, most notably artificial intelligence, machine learning, and robotics.
- You can obtain training opportunities in the affiliated companies while studying at Turkish universities. Due to their dedication to attending training sessions and practical applications, many students secured great job opportunities before graduation.
- Turkish universities are keen to provide the latest updates in the computer science field. You will find that the syllabi are updated annually to keep pace with the newest advancement in the area.
- Turkish universities offer many student exchange programs. The most prominent study exchange program is the Erasmus which allows the students to continue their studies for a semester or more at one of the European Union universities.
- Academics in Turkish universities provide the students with the appropriate support and afford them the required atmosphere to innovate and develop essential skills such as logical thinking, teamwork, and problem-solving ability.
- Many universities offer computer science programs with an English medium of instruction.
Work Areas for Computer Science Graduates
Many job opportunities are available for computer science graduates in the following area:
- Database Analysis
- Software Design and Programming
- Problem Analysis
- Game Development
- Smart Phone Development
- Computer Systems Design
- Application Analysis
- Network Manager
- Cyber Security
- Computer and Information Systems Management
- Web Design- Website Development
- Analyzing systems in different organizations
Salaries of Computer Science Graduates
The salaries of computer science graduates are high worldwide. For example, the average annual wage for a computer science graduate is $120,000 in the USA. The demand for this specialization is constantly growing, especially in information security, due to the increase in breaches and security holes in many sensitive sites of large companies and countries.
The work in this field is flexible as you can work full-time, part-time in a company, freelance, or remotely with an Arab or foreign company.
Difference between Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Software Engineering
Computer science is a general specialization concerned with how computers and their components work and how to develop commands to analyze data and solve problems. It has also evolved further in the last decade to include the study of algorithms and artificial intelligence.
This specialization focuses on the computer component (hardware), how to design it, and how the electrical circuits of the computer work. It combines other engineering disciplines such as electrical engineering and some branches of computer science.
It is one of the most practical subspecializations of computer science. It is concerned with computer programming, creating and developing programs.
Can we Study Computer Science in English in Turkey?
Of course! Most public and private universities offer the computer science program in English only, or 30% of the program in English and 70% in Turkish.
Some universities may require you to submit the English language proficiency certificate (TOEFL) and some other public universities need you to clear the SAT.
If the student did not submit the language proficiency certificate, he should pass the university's English language test. The student must attend a language preparatory year if he did not manage to clear the university test.
Duration and Structure of Computer Science Program
The duration of computer science study in turkey is four years. This period can be extended one more year to five if the student attends the language preparatory year.
The course structure will be distributed over eight semesters. Each semester includes several courses as follows:
- In the first year, the student studies many basic courses such as Physics and Mathematics, which are the foundation of the subsequent courses.
- In the second year, the student starts to attend core courses gradually.
- The third academic year is the most difficult as it covers many core courses, practical projects, and training.
- In the fourth year, the student will focus on the graduation project.
Courses of Computer Science Specialization
The courses of computer science specialization in Turkish universities include:
- Databases and their Organization
- Cyber Security
- Website Development
- Mobile App Development
- Machine Learning
- Software Engineering
- Robots and Artificial Intelligence
- Data Management
- Parallel programming
- IOS Systems Development
- Smart Device Development
- Computer Operating Systems
- Digital Media Processing
- Computational Physics
- Other core or elective courses.
The courses of computer engineering specialization include:
- Networks and Communications
- Computer Systems
- Special Processing
- Computer Engineering and Science
- Embedded Systems
- Integrated Circuits
- Encryption and Information Protection
The courses of software engineering specialization include:
- IT Project Management
- Algorithm Design and Analysis
- Operating Systems
- Web Programming
Best Turkish Universities to Study Computer Science
Computer science is a general specialization in Turkey, and a few universities offer only computer science programs. Instead, they tend to afford related disciplines such as software engineering, information systems engineering, and computer engineering. Here we will present the best private universities in Turkey to study computer science with an English medium of instruction:
- Istinye University offers a two-year diploma in Computer Technology in its vocational school with annual tuition fees of $2,592.
- Özyeğin University affords the undergraduate program in Computer Science at $8,400 and the postgraduate programs (master's and Ph.D.) at $10,000.
- Istanbul Gelişim University offers a two-year diploma in Computer Technology with annual tuition fees of $2750.
- Haliç University has a two-year diploma in Computer Technology with annual tuition fees of $2000.
- Bahçeşehir University provides a master's program in Information Technology with tuition fees of $9,000.
- Istanbul Aydin University offers a two-year diploma program in Computer Programming with annual tuition fees of $3,000.
Admission Requirments to Study Computer Science in Turkey
Turkish public universities
- Some Turkish public universities may require you to clear the YÖS exam with specific scores.
- Language proficiency certificate such as TÖMER to study in Turkish.
- General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) with a minimum average of 70%.
Turkish private universities
- Private universities do not require a specific GCSE average or passing any language test. However, these additional documents may increase your chance of getting admission.
- If you wish to study in English or Turkish, you should submit a language proficiency certificate. If this certificate is unavailable, you must attend a language preparatory year.
- Admission to private universities in Turkey is guaranteed if you manage to submit all required documents.
- Private universities require a General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) for bachelor programs and a graduation certificate for master's programs.
If you wanted to know more or have any questions, we are here to help you and you can always contact us:
Or via WhatsApp through this link.